family

family

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

classical conditioning

I feel like Pavlov's dog.

Toward the end of the quarter in p chem, we started talking about (potential) energy of molecules. During one particular lecture, I had a light bulb moment and connected something from p chem lab back to the lecture. Dr. Jaroniec was talking about what the curves (graphs) look like, and I realized it was the same as the Morse potentials we'd been using in lab, so I brought it up. He seemed impressed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Morse-potential.png
Stole this from Wikipedia.

The next time we were talking about what a certain energy curve should look like, he pointed at me and said, "I"m going to call on you because you said what it was last time." Of course, (after thinking for a second) I responded with "Morse potential." I laughed about it and figured that would be the end of it. But then it happened again in another lecture. He pointed at me and said a variation of his statement above, and I correctly answered "Morse potential."

I'm not sure how many times it happened overall (probably at least 5 or 6), but it got to the point that once or twice I was even zoned out or lost for a part of lecture but still gave the answer when he pointed at me.

Classical conditioning at its best.

Side note: I adore Dr. Jaroniec. He has this cute baby face but sort of a rugged/stylish look. And his accent is the best! I actually thought it was Russian or something at the beginning of the quarter, but it bothered me so much that I finally asked him. Turns out he's from Poland but learned English in Canada. He has a great sense of humor (and sometimes it's even funnier because of his accent/the way he says things). He actually reminds me a lot of my brother, Eric.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to start answering all questions with "Morse Potential" too...I'll sound really smart. Did we ever tell you the story of 'Pavlov's Dot?' When Dotty was just a toddler, I was sitting on the couch, eating from a can of Pringles. It didn't take long for Dotty to come toddling as quickly as she could, every time she heard me pop the lid off the can. She could be halfway across the room, hear the popping sound, and turn at a sprint for the can. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Classical" conditioning? I expected to read about how you trained Brian to make brownies anytime he heard Mozart. Now that would be cool.

    ReplyDelete