family

family

Friday, June 29, 2012

Not Europe

Brian: "Amy, come look at these pictures!"

Amy: "I have to pee first!" *frantically runs down stairs into basement*

Brian: *worried and confused* "There's no bathroom in the basement!"


But what pictures, you ask...

The day was long and hot, and I was quietly working in my windowless lab, mostly alone on a Friday afternoon. I started hearing odd sounds, like the rustling of cardboard coming from the walls, and some of the doors throughout the building started opening and closing on their own. The sounds persisted, and were added by the rapid slapping sounds of ceiling air vents. I joined a couple of my coworkers, who were equally confused. Without ever having been near any windows, I opened an alternate exit door, and this is what I saw.


Several of the trees on the property were at least partially down. Pieces of tree were scattered all over, Had the lower picture tree fallen the other direction, it would have blocked the exit gate. On my way home, every traffic light was out, and I passed by several residents standing in their front yard, staring motionless at trees that had fallen in their own yards. Luckily, our place was fine, without even having a power outage. The kicker- the severe weather sirens never went off, even though they've gone off several times this year without any serious incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment