family

family

Thursday, September 30, 2010

church game

We've loved our ward so far. We moved in right as the bishopric was changing, so we've been waiting on a few things during the transition (our records haven't been read in and we don't have callings yet). That doesn't really bother us though. We've made up a new game: let's see how many auxiliaries we can get to fight over us before we actually get callings.
~~~~~
The first Sunday in the ward, we filled out the paperwork to request our records. While in the office, I met the Relief Society President, who mentioned to the First Counselor that she needed some more Visiting Teaching Supervisors. I piped up, "I've had that calling before - I love it!"

The second Sunday, there wasn't a chorister in RS, so I volunteered to conduct. They asked me to do it again on our third Sunday.

At our recent RS meeting, I stayed a little late so I could help with clean-up. I'm not sure why, but that's usually my favorite part of activities. ;) The "Meeting Coordinator" (aka Enrichment Leader) thanked me afterward and told me it wasn't necessary, but it was definitely appreciated.

Relief Society - check
~~~~~
One of our main goals since moving in has been to make friends. We got to go to the ward camp-out a couple weeks ago, and Brian suggested that that was a great time to make friends - by bribing them with homemade root beer. It was definitely a hit (especially with the kids - one of the teenagers warned Brian that he'll probably be called into the Primary now), and the Activities Committee Chair mentioned that they had been wanting to make it for the ward Halloween party. They hadn't figured out how and asked Brian to be in charge of it instead. Without even letting him respond, I happily told her that he would love to do it.

Activities Committee - check
~~~~~
I went to a little craft night two weeks ago. It was put on by one of our neighbors, and she invited any interested sisters to come bring their crafts and work on them while chatting. I'm certainly not crafty, so I mostly went for the socializing. There weren't a lot of people there, but it was fun to make some new friends in a smaller group setting. One of those sisters came up to me on Sunday after Sacrament Meeting. She mentioned that they were one person short in the Nursery and asked if I might be willing to come help the other leader. Even though I had no idea what to do, I agreed. It turned out someone else had found a substitute, so I didn't need to after all. But during Sunday School, one of the sisters from the Primary Presidency came and asked if I could come sit in with a teacher in her Primary class during the third hour. I was happy to help and stayed the whole time even though it turned out there were only two little girls in the class that day. Brian told me not to enjoy it too much. ;)

Primary - check
~~~~~
On Sunday, I came to get Brian after church and found him talking with another brother and the Elders. It turned out the Elders needed a ride to and from a lesson. The other brother was going to but had a wife and baby, so Brian and I volunteered to go instead. I was so excited to go to a lesson again! (I was laughing inwardly throughout it because the investigator reminded me of some people I taught.) We gave some input and helped bear testimony, etc. I had almost forgotten how much I love teaching the gospel in smaller settings like that. The Elders were grateful for our help and told us that was their best lesson with that woman. I was probably a little over-excited, but they seemed happy about how eager we are to share the gospel. We had them over for dinner on Monday, and they alluded that they might have suggested us as ward missionaries.

Ward Mission - check
~~~~~
I think that covers most of our bases. We aren't sure about Elders' Quorum. Brian has said the prayer multiple times by now (once it was opening and closing for the same meeting!). He also went to an activity they had over the weekend. And the EQP lives one building over from us. Who knows if he has any plans for Brian.

I'm interested to see what our callings actually turn out to be. ;)

1 comment: