family

family

Monday, June 24, 2013

bugs

Yesterday afternoon, I had a pretty scary experience with Elise. After hearing what it was, Brian told me he's sure much worse things will happen/make us fear for our daughter's safety. Probably true, but at the time it was terrifying.

I had just put Elise in the Bumbo when I noticed something moving near her. I looked down and saw a wasp-like bug crawling on her arm. It was hard not to outwardly freak out, but I didn't want to scare the bug and make it sting her. Fortunately, it decided to fly away on its own. We didn't find it again yesterday, but I found its dead body in the living room today. I'm not sure what killed it, but I can't say I'm upset that it's dead.

I was curious about what kind of bug it actually was, so I looked up pictures today. Based on the image search, I'm guessing it was a mud dauber, which is apparently a non-aggressive type of wasp. Regardless, it was scary. And yucky. I hate bugs.

This is what it looked like. Gross, huh.
Speaking of hating bugs, we've had a lot in our house lately. :\ I think it has mostly been spiders, silverfish (yuck!), and flies. We recently got a new back door, which included the installation of a screen door since we didn't have one before. Unfortunately, the screen door wasn't installed exactly right, so it doesn't shut all the way on its own. I didn't realize that and left one day without shutting it fully, and there was some major wind that blew it open and bent the thingie that holds the door open. Since then, we have to slam the door in order to shut it all the way. I was excited to have a screen door so we could leave the door open in nice weather without letting in bugs, but we've apparently been letting them in anyway. Boo. Anyway, I think that's probably how the mud dauber got in yesterday, since we were having people over for dinner and grilling.

1 comment:

  1. HATE bugs! I have no idea how I survived life in Texas.

    ReplyDelete