family

family

Sunday, March 25, 2012

clean air

I've been meaning to change our furnace filter for several months now. In fact, there's been a notice from our landlady on the fridge since we moved in, which says to check the filter regularly. We haven't done it since we moved in a year and a half ago....



So I finally got around to looking at the furnace the other day to see what size filter I needed to buy. I took off 2 panels on the front and couldn't find the filter anywhere. I felt pretty stupid but figured it shouldn't be that difficult to find, so I enlisted Brian's help. He couldn't find it either. With no other ideas of what to do, we called one of our neighbors/friends to see if he had ever changed their filter (we were guessing they have the same furnace because they're in our building). He explained where it was supposed to be, and we realized we couldn't find it because it wasn't there! So we've been living here for 1.5 years with no filter on our furnace. We're guessing the guys who rented before us decided that changing it wasn't worth the hassle, so they just completely removed it. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. I'm actually really surprised that we haven't been sick much more often.

Speaking of being sick, Brian caught some sort of mild cold a few weeks ago. It wasn't too bad, but his cough sounded pretty horrible. He seems to be mostly better now, but that cough is still lingering. However, we decided that might actually be from allergies, especially since I've been waking up with a raw throat but haven't actually gotten sick. We recently got him a new dresser (the old one literally fell apart) off of Craigslist, and the previous owner had a cat. I wiped the dresser down when we first brought it in the house, but Brian seems to have more problems with coughing in our bedroom, so I decided to wipe down the whole thing more thoroughly (and also re-wash all the clothes he's had in there). We brought it down into the kitchen last night, and I wiped the drawers out individually with bleach, as well as the whole frame. It was actually nice that we took it apart because I discovered that 2 of the drawers had loose bottoms, so we were able to glue them before they fell apart. Anyway, we're hoping the allergies will get a little better, although the early spring (summer?) probably isn't helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment