family

family

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

sewing projects

I got a sewing machine recently, as Brian mentioned previously. It was sort of for our anniversary, but I'd been wanting one for a while. I finally broke down and bought one because I had a few mending projects I needed to do that would have been way too hard/time-consuming to do by hand. I finished those right away when I got the machine, but then I wanted to find some other things to do with it.

I decided a baby blanket would be a good first project since I haven't done much sewing before. My sister-in-law, Kate, is having a baby in June, and even though it'll be her 3rd baby/2nd boy, I figured it would be fun to make a quilt for him. (She didn't know I was doing it until I mailed it to them.) I didn't realize how hard it is to pick coordinating fabric! I ended up finding a cute boy-looking polka dot fabric and then just got solid colors that matched with it. (Yes, I was making everything up as I went along.)











L - I sewed the squares into strips and laid them out
R - after ironing the strips, sewing them together, and ironing again (not completely even/straight, but I did the best I could, and it was my first time)














L - blue color for the backing; light batting since they live in CA; cut the backing slightly bigger than the front so I could fold it over and use that as a binding (this is a picture of it pinned together)
R - the finished quilt, tied with white yarn

I know the pictures don't look a whole lot different from each other, but I wanted to document each step (for future reference). I think it turned out pretty cute. :) I didn't want to post pictures until I was sure they had received the package since it was a surprise - I haven't asked if they got it, but it's been about 2 weeks since I sent it, so I think it's a safe bet.

My next project was to make Brian's man's apron, as he calls it. I guess "apron" is too girly of a word, so he has to specify. ;) I got a heavy black fabric (twill, I believe) and made everything from it, including the ties and adjustable neck strap. He also specifically asked for pockets so he can put spices and stuff in there when he's grilling. I decided the easiest way would be to use my own apron as a pattern (my mom and I made mine using my dad's as a pattern), especially since I really like the style of it. Here's how it turned out (I made Brian pose, and he decided to use BBQ tools as props):

L - striking a manly pose
C - being weird with the grilling tools
R - showing off the pockets (it was hard to see otherwise because it's black on black)

I think my next project is going to be bean bags for the Corn Hole game Brian is making. I also need to add a little fabric to the top of my bathing suit. :) More on those to come.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Amy. Yes, we got the quilt and I've been kicking myself the last week and a half for not getting around to the thank you note. Its very cute and I think you did a wonderful job with it. I had to hide it from Jimmie after he went to bed that night--he was having so much fun carrying it around everywhere. I had to keep reminding him it was for the new baby. Thanks very very much for thinking of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Kate, that wasn't meant to send you on a guilt trip! I was just excited to post pictures. Glad you got it and like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am most proud of the fact that you are going to be official owners of a corn hole set, and a home made one to boot. You are real Buckeyes now!

    ReplyDelete