family

family

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Good Food


So sometimes I get excited for competitions, like when we heard of our ward chili cook-off. I instantly decided to yearn for that first place chili ribbon, despite the fact that I had never before made chili from scratch. Regardless, I spent a good five hours last Saturday making what I call Casaday's Extreme Chunky Chili! Although I didn't pay much attention to the quantities I was using, and never looked at any recipe, the chili included each of the following.

mild Italian sausage
1 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
2 diced white onions, sauteed
about 20 garlic cloves, chopped by hand and slightly sauteed (only after did I learn the difference between cloves of garlic and bulbs of garlic)
pinto beans
chili hot beans
black beans
northern white beans
crushed tomatoes
crushed tomatoes mixed with green chiles
can of sweet corn
thinly sliced carrots
serrano peppers
chili powder
a generous amount of cumin
bay leaves (to make people think I know how to cook)
salsa
salt and pepper to taste

We took our approx 1 1/2 gallons of chili to the cook-off. Sadly, we arrived late and most everyone was on their second bowl when we got there . Needless to say, we brought home a lot of chili.

Also here's a beautiful picture of a beautiful pizza on a beautiful pizza peel taken by a beautiful Amy.

2 comments:

  1. "about 20 garlic cloves, chopped by hand and slightly sauteed (only after did I learn the difference between cloves of garlic and bulbs of garlic"

    HILARIOUS! Sorry to laugh at your mix-up. If I offend, I didn't mean it. I like garlic, I would eat the chili. Love the costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, when did you and Brian come out to DC? Was it before my Brian and I moved out here? No, we just did the regular Spy Museum experience...plus the addition of 5 nieces and nephews that we brought with us. Always more fun and energetic that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete